Chapel smallChurch History

History of Our Church

 

St. Paul's parish was dedicated in 1892 after seven families raised funds to retire the debt accumulated to build the original church building on the corner of Fifth and Idaho Streets in downtown Elko.  St. Paul's was the first church to be built in Elko.

 

St. Paul's was a mission church located within the Missionary District of Nevada for its first 50 years.  in 1953, St. Paul's was converted to a parish and became self-sustaining.

 

In 1957, the present church sanctuary and parish hall were completed and consecrated.  The chapel pews, altar, and stained glass window were brought from the original downtown location.  The Rose window in the church sanctuary was also brought from the original church.

 

The stained glass in the sanctuary, designed and executed by Whipple of England, portrays the life of St. Paul. It was installed in the late 1990s.

 

© 2017 St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community